All accessible from Peckerwood Knob Cabins leaving on ATVs from cabins.
No need to trailer.
Kiamichi Trail – East:
Where? Ride the ridge of the mountain east to Pigeon Creek or Beech Creek National Scenic Area and Beech Creek Botanical Area, translated for the common man, “more woods”.
What? Gorgeous views from several beautiful hightops. A few scattered homesteads. Pine and hardwood forests. All remote areas. Eventual drop from mountain tops to creeks.
- Pigeon Creek Road – You can drop off the ridge road to the north and drive all the way to highway 63 on Pigeon Creek Road.
- Beech Creek – You can follow the ridge road to drive the border of the Beech Creek National Scenic Area and Botanical Area. This way eventually goes all the way to Zafra, OK where you tie back into the pavement.
Difficulty? Mostly bumpy with some rough.
Length? To Beech Creek border? 10 miles
- To Zafra? 24 miles
- To Pigeon Creek Road? 12 miles
- From Ridge Road to Highway 63 – 4 miles
Kiamichi Trail – West:
Where? Ride the ridge of the mountain west to the old fire tower or eventually to Honobia, OK.
What? This road follows the ridge of the mountain east and provides terrific views. Visit the site of the old fire tower and its homestead grounds. Imagine yourself living the life of a remote fire observer. Follow the trail all the way to Honobia, where you tie back into pavement.
Difficulty? Mostly bumpy. Some rough.
- To fire tower? 8 miles
- To pavement in Honobia direction? 22miles
Big Cedar Trail:
Where? Leaves Kiamichi Ridge Road West near entry from Peckerwood Knob Cabins and drops off the ridge to the north. Ties in with Ben Patterson Road in Big Cedar near the Kiamichi River. Then loops off to the west.
What? Great views from top and all the way down. Ties in with “civilization” at Ben Patterson Road or go west for more forests and uninhabited fields.
Difficulty? Mostly bumpy. ½ mile rough.
- To Ben Patterson Road? 5 miles
- The west loop? 6 miles
Where? Leaves Kiamichi Ridge Road and follows Little Mountain Road to Kiamichi River at Muse, OK.
What? Typical wonderful mountain views from top. See Kiamichi River. Access to Muse community in case of emergency on paved roads.
Difficulty? Bumpy, some rough.
- From access point on Kiamichi Ridge Road to Little Mountain Road – 6 ½ miles
- From Kiamichi Ridge Road to Kiamichi River – 5 miles